Wednesday 8 February 2012

Microworms (Live Fish Food)


Microworms Culture Package S$5
Inclusive of these:
- A plastic tub of Microworms culture (Ready for harvesting)
- A small pack of instant oats
- A plastic pipette
- 2 small plastic containers
- An additional plastic tub 16cm(L) x 10cm(B) x 7cm(H)
- 1 free culture (for you to rotate between feeding/harvesting days)

Microworms make excellent fry food. I feed these to my guppy fries the moment they are born.

To harvest:
I swipe my finger against the sides of the container (avoiding touching the bottom/oats) and I dip my finger into a small container filled with tank water. (Though most times I use tap water.) Then I use a pipette to feed my fries sparingly. I will also feed them vinegar eels, as a variety. Each food has their own nutrients. If you have many fries, you may need to do some subcultures. Remember to have at least 2 cultures in case 1 crash. (Many people just dip finger into tank, that is okay too, but try not to overfeed.)
*When harvesting, you may want to open the lid when no one is around, because not many people can stand the smell. I am okay with the smell (smells a bit like beer) because my fries love the food too much and so I don't mind. Open the lid away from your face as well and avoid sniffing it. Though I always find myself smelling it, as well as observe the worms*

If cultures start to stink really bad, or production rate has declined, it's time for one of these steps:
- start a new culture, or,
- revive/boost old culture

Starting a new culture:
1) Prepare a container (with a high height so worms can climb and you can swipe easily) 
2) Mix some instant oats (no need to cook) with water, ensuring mixture is moist, not wet.
3) Swipe clean worms from old culture and place the small amount on the newly-prepared oats.
4) Close the container with a lid (poked with fine holes) and place it in a cool place.
5) Check daily. Lightly mist/spray to keep the oats moist if too dry. If too wet, add some oats.

Reviving/Boosting old culture:
1) Apply new oats on the surface of old culture, spreading them evenly, especially on areas where it's watery.
2) Lightly mist/spray the dry oats (which you've just added)
3) You can use a toothpick to push the new oats in a little, or just leave them be.
*Production rate may not be as much therefore not recommended*


No comments:

Post a Comment